I've seen these award-thingys passed around the blogosphere before, but since I got this one from one of my very favorite bloggers, TG, I'm going to play this time! TG got hers from Andy, another open adoption blogger who I have a lot of respect for.
Apparently these things have rules, so here I go:
1) Thank the person who gave you the award.
I have a date with TG in about a week, to meet her in person, and I couldn't be more excited. Those of you who read here might remember her from the Open Adoption Interview Project, when I was thrilled to draw her as my person to interview. She is smart, thoughtful, and has provided me with a lot of insight into what it is like for one person, at least, to be on the first mom side of the adoption triad. Thanks lady!
2) Insert award into post
3. Name 3 things you like about yourself.
1.When my mother was here to visit a few weeks ago I was expounding upon my love for our condo, even though it is small and one-bedroom-y, and how it is the perfect place for us now, and for a long time to come and why. She looked at me and said "One thing that is wonderful about you is that wherever you are you are utterly convinced that it is the most perfect place to be." I was surprised because that statement hasn't always been true for me. But I like that right now, it is.
2.I'm not a neat freak. Not by a long shot. But in years of loving and interacting with people who are - who I appreciate - I have come to like that I don't need everything to be spit spot all the time. Could I do better at cleaning? Yes. But my dirty secret is that I kind of like a little comfortable, lived-in clutter. And I like that I like it!
3. I like that I always have not one, not two, but at least five plans for any given situation. Need options? I got'em. And if I don't just give me a couple minutes.
4. Post a photo that you love.
This is me and baby J yesterday afternoon. We were out gardening with one of our neighbor families, and Andrew came home and snapped this.
5. Tag 5 people to pass the award on to.
First let me say that TG stole at least two of the people I would have passed this along to, with herself making three. Thanks for making it hard, lady! Let's see (and seriously, no hurt feelings if you don't want to play!)
1. Debbie B. at Always and Forever Family. I've been reading Debbie's blog for a long time now and am constantly impressed with the honest way that she approaches parenting her gorgeous little Belle. She is also an inspiration to me with hairstyles! I hope I can be as good at doing J's hair as she is with Belle someday!
2. Andrea Shiftercars whose blog isn't adoption related at all but who constantly inspires me in many ways! This woman designed my wedding, people, and is currently the only person I trust to pick out my eyewear. She doesn't post much, but if I could afford (and justify) to pay someone to style my life, I'd pick her. Andrea is also the reason I started blogging, way back in my LJ day, because her writing was as stylish and compelling as everything else about her.
3. Carrie at Growing a Baby. I first started reading Carrie's blog when our blogs were pitted against each other in a contest last year. I kept reading it because she is so very honest about the issues that confront her as a stay at home mom and truly never sugar-coats the experience. Also, her kids are super cute.
4. Jenny at PhotoJJ. So if I had endless funds and zero scruples about spending them all on making asthetic improvements to my life I would hire Andrea to style me and Jenny to hang out with me every day and take my picture. (Also, incidentally, Ruthie would make all the clothes for my entire family.)I met Jenny when she started playing bass in my band and only later discovered that her true calling is behind a camera lens. If you like any of the photos I've taken of J it's probably due to coaching Jenny's given me. Her blog is all photographs of people I don't know but I love looking at them anyway. Life through Jenny's lens is always beautiful and never the same from one frame to the next.
5. Evergreen at Evergreen Baby. Evergreen was one of the first blogs I read from before adoption through the whole process. She doesn't post as much now that her little one is over a year old and keeping her quite busy, but I always go straight to her on my reader when there is something new.
That's my Friday-fun post! Look for meatier topics again next week.